Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Float height is set at 25mm now I noticed the needle just before you replied lol was slightly bent in the dark I couldn't tell. Now the only issue left is what seems like junk in the carb clogging a jet (won't throttle at all)

pull the mixture screw out, the pilot jet out, the main jet, and the main jet tube
then blow some compressed air in through the 2 or 3 ports on the filter side of the carby.
you should be able to feel air coming out of the holes in the underside of the carby base
put your finger over the mixture screw hole too, to make sure air comes out the bottom where the pilot jet screws in.

check that the tiny hole at the bottom of the threads where the pilot jet screws into is open
put a thin bit of copper wire through the hole and wiggle it about
these gum up easily there and can cause idle/response problems
blow it out well once you are done.

clean out the main jet and jet tube that screws into the carby base
from memory there are 6 or 8 holes going across this tube too.
you need to make sure they are all open.
blow compressed air into where the jet tube screws into the carby base, double check that there is no dirt/gum left there.

More or less seems like a main jet clog prob just clean it as a whole to be safe . I prefer to run 32:1 at 93 octane lately. Everything engine wise besides the usual carb trash is superb. Prob just need a new fuel filter thinking inline this time the tank filter was torn. Wiring without lights is hooked up. Headlight has a messed up connector I could fix......but I have ideas of better lighting to come lol. Figure out the avail amps and such then find a few lighting options and see which ones don't draw too much.

Last edited:
Eh its all the same thnx for the advice btw a lot of other forums ect don't really off ther best advice. Lol one truck forum on dodges tried to tell me the motor in my truck put there by the manufacturer did not exist.

lol, yeah i see that a bit.
i'm just telling you what i've learnt from experiance's with my DS80

Never experienced this exactly before....water yes bul lol my oil is blue. There's red liquid floating like it water I believe that's the throttle issue but no water in tank and.....red?????
mysa8a2y.jpg
everythings good now.

Wish I could post a vid jets are clean its bogging upon throttle. Gonna check a few things but what's bugging me is I looked up references and it said I could use a champion 8902 similar to what I run in my rm in a pinch. I have no access to good plugs till a few days from now.

WHERE IN THE **** ARE THE TIMING MARKS ON THIS BIKE???? Lol the stator/ignition/whatever plate was adjusted all the way to the left. I have no inkling where the marks are and can't set it

Most frust part of the build always lol. Timing is now dead on the mark was hidden due to wear and tear lined up the lines all connections are right brand new coil..........no spark all the sudden.......sigh.

1998 Ds80 will not throttle

Couldn't find a good way to word it its embarrasing but I can't figure it out maybe I'm tired idk. Idles ok hard to start getting fuel no matter what way either the pilot jet or the main needle in the slide are adjusted acts the same float has been moved diff measurements within tolerence spark plug is a champion 8902 and before everyone attacks yes I've cleaned the carb installed a filter and once pulled aprt again no trash same result. You give any throttle it drones not quite bogs but is unresponsive and continues idling just about while blowing air out the carb. When first starts it revs a tiny bit then proceeds to suck. Brand new primary coil all clean contacts clean magnets. I'm kindof focusing my mind on ignition but trying everything. Spark seems a bit weak but nothing I do aside from prob a new ig coil I can't afford. The funny part is I kinda feel its the coil but I need false hope!!! Lol

i have my timing mark set at 3mm away from the stator top locating tab

check your timing,
i posted a pic of where mine is set to in your build thread

Now mine is maybe a few mms diff from that. At idle it sounds like a freaking stihl chainsaw lol. Almost lopsided idle like its a two cyl. I'm gonna say timing for now I don't have it in front of me but my brilliant (stupid) self used the old head gasket without realising .....I hate working at night. I'm going to prob also guess even with decent compression it might have a leak under load.

i have an NGK B7ES spark plug in mine,
the equivalent Champion standard spark plug is the N7YC (813),
or as you have the Irridium Champion 8902

do you have a resistor cap on your coil lead ? the 8902 needs one, a 5K Ohm cap

with your rough idle, start the bike and let it idle,
now spray wd40 around where the manifold meets the barrel, if the idle changes in any way then there is a leak there.
both of my DS80 manifolds leaked,
i gave them a file back to straighten them up which helped a little, but ended up using some 1mm gasket paper there as well.

Last edited:
Btw this is the pipe it came with seems diff then what I've seen but its even labeled suzuki and he didn't own any other suzies
7y8uduza.jpg

yeah that looks close, but probably off an RM ?
can you see if there is a silencer in the end still?
the tip looks a bit oily, might be worth repacking the muffler when you get a chance.

this is what the Australian delivered DS80's had-

$(KGrHqNHJF!E-n+mqjhRBPqB)EYIgw~~60_35.JPG

might be worth dropping the exhaust at the Barrel and starting it up, see if it revs then ?
that was how i diagnosed my DS80 expansion chamber was all blocked up

Latest posts

Back