Atomik Reign, Lifan 150, Big Foot questions

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep had to take 2 bolts off to access the cap, Would the window be accurate with the bike with its stand on or sitting vertical or won't it matter that much?
Is there a recommended oil?

Can I take the oil filter cap off with oil still in the engine?

yeah a little bit might run out when you take the cover off, just be prepared with a rag.

the oil is type is 10w40, motorcycle oil for bikes running wet clutches.
just use mineral oil this time, then drain it out and replace it again in another 5 hours riding time.
*cough cough* i just use automotive engine oil (mineral based) *cough cough*, it is cheaper

then you might want to try semi synthetic, but that is dearer too.

either should be fine, as long as it's not a synthetic based oil.
i would just use motor oil as it is cheaper, and you will be changing it again soon anyway.
you're just using it to help flush any old dirty oil out.
then when you do it again after 5 hours riding, you can use better quality stuff if you want.

but in saying that about the synthetic oils, they do make a specific synthetic oil for motorcycles with a wet clutch too.

they do have a second oil filter screen in the engine too, it sits inside the engine, below the external oil filter.
but if you want to clean that one, you need to remove the kickstart lever, and take the r/h side cover off the engine.
and it might pay to buy another side cover gasket because they sometimes break/tear.
Head Base Gasket KIT Lifan 150cc Engine PIT PRO Trail Dirt Bike Quad ATV Buggy | eBay

Would I need to buy a 4L bottle or would a 1L bottle be enough?

yeah that oil will be ok, it will be a touch thicker when it's cold.

you need the bike upright, lean one of the handlebar grips against a wall, or use a milk crate under the bash plate
try to keep the top of the engine level though. (not the barrel/head)

Okay, Should I buy 1 litre or 4 litres?

Also I have found it's really hard to roll the bike in first with the clutch in but it rolls fine in second third and fourth?

if it needs 1.1 litres, buying a 1 litre wont be enough.
maybe get a 4 litre, then you'll have your next 2 oil changes covered

have you been riding it yet ?
the clutch might need adjusting, but see how it goes first.

put the bike in neutral to push it

Yeha been riding it, I could roll it in first before when it was on but that was before my friend almost blew it up in first

Theres two plugs under the engine, The oil one would be on the side the top cap and window is but what does the other one do?

the other big chrome bolt is the timing chain tensioner spring holder,
leave that one done up, otherwise a spring an pusher will pop out when you undo it

Thanks, There was so much metal shavings in the oil it wasn't funny, It was just a thick sludge wish I took a photo

We got it so it's pretty much at the top of the window and after running for a minute or two drops down to a bit below 3/4 so i hope thats alright

yeah,
getting those filings etc out is good for the engine, less chance of it damaging bearings etc
the sludge is a mixture of friction material worn off the clutch, cooked oil, and fine metal filings.

did you clean out the top filter behind the small cover ?

the other filter in the bottom of the engine that i was talking about a few posts up could have a lot in it too.

with the oil level, it takes a bit extra to fill the oil cooler lines,
i would top it up a little now, so it is just below the top of the sight glass.

Yeah I cleaned out the top filter but didn't try the other one as I didn't want to tear into the engine too much.
It's strange when it was running the oil level went down and when it turned off it went back up again...
I'll take it for a little ride and see how it goes at the end

Cleaned the air filter with turps and water so waiting for it to dry... I'm going to use motor oil just this time until I get some filter oil, Would I apply it directly on or put some on a rag and just put it all over?

Matt

put some in your hand then massage it in, not too thick though
engine oil will get sucked through the filter into the carby after a little bit of riding

air filter oil is really sticky so it stays on the filter.

Okay, It's $10-$11 at SuperCheap is there any other places that have it cheaper?

i get mine at Supercheap when it's on sale,
they usually have a special once a month, you get a pressure pack of Castrol air filter oil, and a chain oil for $12

just give it a thin spray of wd40/crc for now.

Sweet i've already used motor oil but i'll buy the air filter pack when it's on special again.
I rode about 2-3km today before getting a flat on the front :(.

Onto the milk crate and took the front wheel off (So happy it wasn't the rear)

Anyway I didn't have tyre levers so just used screwdrivers and scratched my rims lots, But it turns out the tube had broken away where the valve meets the rubber, Not sure why this happened but oh well.

Now to source a new 17" 3" tube ( I think I am saying it right am I?

and have a look in the ebay bargains thread, there are some tyre tool's links in the latest posts

Latest posts

Back