Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
warming up the engine first can help release rust too, expansion may cause the bond of rust to break.
i use it a lot with panel beating, if you have a propane torch or even a heat gun, get the stud as hot as you can, and melt some candle wax onto it.
it will penetrate down the threads and help the nut to come loose.

if the studs undo from the head, then just place them with some brand new ones.

ok so if the studs were to snap off what could i do? i imagine i would have to drill them out and re-tap them in order to fit new ones?

sometimes they will snap at the nut, so you can still use visegrips to undo them
otherwise drill it out carefully, tap and screw a new one in

oh ok, cool, just dont wanna stuff this up u know. i just sprayed it again and i'll try and get it off this arvo :)

if the engine is still sitting upright,
try tightening the nut a little bit first ( a 1/16 of a turn can help),
as the spray will seep in from the top of the threads and then down.
it might help to break the rusts' hold on the threads.
then try undoing it

ok so i managed to get 1 nut off, but i went to the otherside with my vicegrips and tryed the other nut, and the stud is moving with it :(. what can i do?

im pretty sure its a klx, i looked at the bike it came off and it matched it perfectly?? i dunno, i'll have another look, but im hoping to get stainless, i know it'll stilldis-colour etc, but it wont rust AS easy :)

thanks man, it turned out alright, a bit more prep work would not of gone astray lol, and i deburred the weld in the pipe a while ago so im right in that department :). and yeah, gotta get around to buying one of those gaskets!

hey guys, i've been a bit lazy lately, the bikes justy been sittin under the house gathering dust unfortunately...

so the other day i got motivatred and decided i would measure my headstem up and get the thread cut. unfortunately the bearing didnt fit, it had to be machined down another 2mm or so :(. so today at school thats exactly what i did!

i got it pretty shiny, i finished it off in the lathe with some 120 emery paper. now the bearing is a perfect fit! Yay!!

heres a comparison picture to the bearing i need to use, and the bearing that was meant for that head-stem
(im using the smaller one)

and finally here a pic of my zorst on the bike. it looks pretty cool, the black on silver looks cool i think :)

Ok so i have got the thread extended, bought bearing and today i was just going to fit it up to figure out where i would have to cut the stem down to. but, as i was putting the bearings in, i realized the cups were the wrong size. i went to a bearing shop and they said it was an odd imperial size, and they didnt have anything close to it. so then i went to my local chinese bike shop and asked around there. the bloke said these bearings will fit, so i paid $48.80 and took em home, only to realize they didt fit! the bearing was right, just the cup was wrong. i gave him both, but he still gave me the wrong cup! i've had a few arguments with this bloke, and the last one ended in him say "listen kid, i've got 45 years of experience working on bikes, japenese and chinese, i think i know what im doing".....Yeah bullshlt!! how good are you if you cant measure a set of bearings and cups properly?!?!

Ok with that rant over, i consider this a bit of a blessing in disguise. that cost me 48.80, and i'll take them back and get my money back, and buy the right bearings for 26.70 on e-bay. so im savin a bit of cash. but now i have to lathe it down a bit more (like 1 mm, its at 23mm now, its gotta be 22mm) then i need to get bearings AGAIN...and i should be righht.....i swear any form of mechanics shop in my area is absolutely hopeless!!
cheers,

Jack.

Latest posts

Back