Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
new piston, hone bore, or new wrist clip
Piston slap means something has worn and the connecting rods are now hitting the cylinder. like
the first is the wrispin which connects the piston to the rod. The second reason could be the rod barring itself.

personally i think it'll be just valves or loose bolt somewhere near the engine, unless its smoking.
if its not take it to a mechanic for a check.

Wow connecting rod hitting the bore? Must be a killa stroker.

It's just valve andjustment

hey chicken, did you find why you had smoke coming out of the cam cover?? May have something to do with that??

Yeah lol, the exhaust wasn't fully tightened and was letting out smoke from near the cam cover..

I need to buy feeler gauges so i can do my valves, do super cheap sell the size i need for the valve clearances?

Yeah lol, the exhaust wasn't fully tightened and was letting out smoke from near the cam cover..

Cool, that one had me stumped mate, glad it got sorted and wasnt anything extreme.

Are they sand blasted or painted?

I would use scotch-brite to clean sand blasted cases up!

petrol, kerosene, degreaser and a couple of paint brushes will do it.
put the parts in a tub and let them soak a while first.
then when clean, hose them off and dry them thoroughly

Are you going to be painting them?
I used a brass wire brush on a angle grinder to polish my'n which I demonstrated in my build thread and this also will work to paint it.

can of pea beau and a cigarette lighter

dpeneds on the "clean" your after.

spotless cus your stripping the thing down to the bearings?

doesnt sound like it. but just in case....water and detergent. boiled. blown dry while steaming hot. repeated trice :)

usually just get the gernie onto them?

soapy water....

its china....dirt hides the imperfections :)

mines growing a lawn!

get the dirt off with water, then use mag wheel cleaner, let sit for a bit, and hose off. scrub for stubborn stains.

replacing frame bolts

The frame bolts on my x4r have got some rust on them, where can I buy a pack of bolts to replace these?,

it depends on how good your current one is.

do you have a multimeter?

at a fasteners shop, take them in as a sample and buy the required amount
do you have Coventry Fasteners over there?

otherwise there are a few bike shops that sell bolt packs for some bikes
or ebay,
bolt kit | eBay

set the multimeter to 200 Ohms,

check the primary windings first, put the red lead from the meter to the main power feed on the coil, and then the black one to the coil earth.
it should read around .8 Ohms up to about 1.4 Ohms, plus or take a few points of an Ohm, write it down somewhere

next test the secondary windings,
set your multimeter to 20k Ohms
you need to unscrew the spark plug socket off the lead (where the spark plug clips into)
the black lead from the meter needs to be put into the end of the spark plug lead,
then put the red to the same positive feed terminal,
you should get a reading somewhere between 3 Ohms and 9 Ohms max, plus or take a few points of an Ohm, write this down.

now put it back together and start the bike, let it run for a while and warm up, 5 mins?
shut it down and test the readings again, and compare them to the previous readings.

this will give you a basic idea on how good the coil is,
the 2x readings cold/hot shouldnt have much of a difference.
and remember this test won't be 100% accurate either, sometimes a crook coil wont fault until you are out riding too.

sometimes when the coils get hot, they can play up.
this is due to the copper windings inside it expanding with the heat.
if a winding is fractured somewhere, the fracture can seperate and give you no spark at all.
also make sure the earth points are clean and contact bare metal too.

cheers, craig

Last edited:
some coils are better than others too,
they can have better winding ratios eg the cdi puts out 10,000 volts, this gets fed to the coil,
then the secondary windings amplify this voltage, and with a 3-1 ratio coil, you will get approx 30,000 volts at the spark plug lead.
some decent/race ignition coils can have a 6-1 or even a 9-1 ratio too, this gives out a huge spark....
and a better spark means the fuel is burnt up more to it's potential, making better power

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back