Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it could be a few things that is causing no spark, is the kill switch turned on ?
try unplugging it and try for a spark then.
also does it have an ignition key switch ?
if it does, unplug that and try kicking it

the other thing you can do is to test the igntion coil to see if it is working or not, do you have a multimeter ?

Kill switch is in the on position. Key is in the on position. Unplugged it then tried again. .. still nothing. Does the coil have to be attached to the frame (ground) for it to work? I even tried that and put it on loosely (hand tight).
I do not have a multimeter, but plan on buying one tomorrow. How do I test it?

Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Last edited:
try unplugging the switches above first

also check that where the coil mounts to the frame that there is nice clean bare metal on the coil mount, and the frame mount
use some sandpaper and /or a wire brush o clean it up
and have a look on the frame for a green earth wire too coming off the loom
check that it is also grounded to clean bare metal.

the stator/magneto is behind the l/h engine cover, at the top near the sprocket you will see 3 or maybe 5 wires coming out through a grommet, and they go up to meet the main loom near the top of the frame.
pull the plugs/sockets apart and check that the terminals all look clean and not corroded, spray them with wd40 spray too while you are there.

i will put the specs up soon for checking the ignition stator and for the ignition coil

it is easy to test, just set your meter to one of the 4x Ohms settings, and then put the leads to the wires that i say
by reading what it says on your multimeter and letting me know, i should be able to tell you if it is within specs still

Okay....I have replaced the ignition coil with a newer version. Still no spark. Went to my local auto parts store to get a flywheel puller... but they didn't have one small enough. Grrr. Suggestions??
ru9yju2u.jpg

teny3u4a.jpg

7uzady2u.jpg

Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Last edited:
They are the same as most yamaha and suzuki's, its M27 x1mm l/h thread
Ill link you one when i'm back inside.
I have a motion pro brand flywheel puller, costs around $13 US.

Did you have a multimeter to test it?
Theres 3 wires coming from the stator that you'll need to find,
a black with red stripe, a blue with white stripe, and the green.

Set you meter to 2000 ohms and put one lead to the black w/red and the other to the green.
You should get a reading around 380 Ohms if the source coil is ok.

Now set your meter to 200 Ohms, this will test the pickup coil, the small black one on the outside of the flywheel.
Put one lead to the blue w/white stripe wire and the other to the green,
You should get a reading around 130 Ohms

If you have a bigger variance than about 15% then that coil is most likely faulty.

Purchased a multimeter and M27x1mm fly wheel puller yesterday. Going to test it after I wake up later today. Thank you again for all your help. I'll post the results later.

Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Having a difficult time finding which is the black with red stripe... Here are some photos. I don't see it.uploadfromtaptalk1398292704491.jpguploadfromtaptalk1398292729374.jpguploadfromtaptalk1398292742674.jpguploadfromtaptalk1398292782066.jpg

Samsung Galaxy Note 3

I purchased a new stator and magnet just in case... Here is the new one. Looks to be the correct replacement... I can clearly see the red/black wire on the new unit. Is this the wire? uploadfromtaptalk1398293250456.jpguploadfromtaptalk1398293319734.jpg

Samsung Galaxy Note 3

yeah the smaller coil is what sends power to the cdi

Okay, I located the black / red. After taking off the stator. (I believe this is the stator) lol :/uploadfromtaptalk1398294579028.jpguploadfromtaptalk1398294627651.jpg

Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Is this right? My apologies for all the rookie questions... I'm so new to all of this. uploadfromtaptalk1398297576942.jpg

Samsung Galaxy Note 3

yeah the diagram you've made is good.
the whole unit, with 3 coils and an alloy backing plate is the stator/magneto unit.

the bigger coil (bottom) is for lights/battery charging and isn't used (tape the yellow and white wires up seperately, and tape them back to the loom)

that little black box at the rear of the stator is the pick up coil, it tells the cdi when to fire
(it has a blue w/white wire and a green)

use the biggest philips head screwdriver that will fit, to avoid stripping the screw heads
and don't use a worn out one either.

if the head is getting damaged, get a hammer and a pointy centre punch,
and punch a dimple in the head of the screw (between the slots is the biggest area)
then angle the punch a little, so when you tap it again, the shock will help release the screw

once it starts to turn, put the big philips head screwdriver in the slot of the screw, and give it a tap i, to locate it properly
then it should unscrew

replace the screws with some new ones, get 2x Countersunk, M6 x 1mm thread, 16mm long (high tensile ones if you can)

the flywheel is the big cup shaped thing you took off too.

and no need to apologize,
i was fixing bikes/cars long before i knew what each part was called!

your new multimeter is exactly the same as the one i keep in my toolbox !
p's' don't forget to turn it off when you are done testing too, the battery wont last to long if you leave it on.

the new stator you bought has a red wire for the source coil, instead of a black w/red striped one
the chinese use so many different colour combinations for them.

Last edited:
Okay, I would still like to replace this old wiring harness to something new and better. Any suggestions? I can't seem to find the OEM harness anywhere online... So, I was going to try to replace it from my local hardware, electronics store and auto parts store... However, no one seems to have what I need. Suggestions on type of wire, connectors, to use for the new magneto and stator unit?
uploadfromtaptalk1398376912113.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1398376475196.jpguploadfromtaptalk1398376509715.jpg

Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Last edited:
as bad as these looms can be, i don't see too many people replacing them
they rarely have problems

the wires are a bit thin, and the terminals are cheap
i rewired my sons dune buggy when i had that apart, and used automotive wiring and plugs/sockets
but if you ever need to replace anything you'll need to change to the newer style plug you used.

this is a loom/harness from a local Australian Ebay seller for $9 inc delivery
Engine Wire Wiring Harness Loom 50cc 110cc 125cc 140cc PIT PRO Trail Dirt Bike | eBay

if you do a worldwide search on ebay, you should be able to find something suitable

here is one from TB USA
TB Wire Harness Z50 88-99 (CRF/XR50) - TB Parts - CRF50 XR50 Z50 88-Up - TBW0650 - TBolt USA, LLC

Got it all put back together... still nothing. No spark. Ugh!

Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Looks like I had crossed a wire, which in turn fried my new CDI.
Got another CDI and she kicked right over and runs great! Thank you for your help on this project bike. As you can see, I have one happy 5 year old now! :) uploadfromtaptalk1399618155665.jpg

good to hear mate, glad you ended up getting it all sorted. bet your boy is having a blast! +reps :)

wow, are you sure you didn't just give up and buy him a new bike ?

that looks awesome,
and the best thing is it's exactly as you'd want it with the sticker kit, and colours etc.
if you were to buy one new, you have to chose from their colour schemes etc

+ reps, well done

Latest posts

Back