Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
when the wheel of the shift pawl is sitting back in the groove of the star,
how much clearance is there to the shift lever arm?

there should be 2mm-3mm clearance between the Pawl and Shift arms when it is sitting right.

and is the return spring on the pawl still pretty tight ? (the spring behind the kickstart gear on the left)

another thing to check while you are there.
pull the whole side cover off, undo the circlip holding the idler gear on, and slide the gear off.
check the bearing that's behind the kick start idler gear, lift the shaft and check for movement in the bearing

Thanks mate will check all of the above when I pull it apart again. It's the third time this has happened, twice whilst my bro inlaw was on it and last time I was on it! The funny thing was that it happened right after my last vid that I chucked up. Right at the end where I drop my bike, it's still in first with wheel turning and instead of clutching and lifting it like I normally would. Instead I killed whilst it was on its side the when I went to pick it up she was stuck?

For us uneducated, or lucky people who havent had to open this part of the engine yet, whats going on?

see the Shift Star at the top ? (it has a silver philips head screw holding it to the end of the Shift Drum)
the roller directly below it (the arm its on the end of, comes from behind the kickstart idler gear, this is the Shift Pawl)
the roller should be sitting in the groove of the star, that holds it in gear

that's whats happened to my donk mate 155z but mines stuck in first its doin my head in it happened two weeks ago but it just fixed itself and yesterday happened again but cbf pulling it apart I just packed it away and put my yx engine back on my bike :cursing:

that's whats happened to my donk mate 155z but mines stuck in first its doin my head in it happened two weeks ago but it just fixed itself and yesterday happened again but cbf pulling it apart I just packed it away and put my yx engine back on my bike :cursing:

Yeah first time mine happened I noticed my bro inlaw kicking hell out of my lever whilst he was riding it, hence the jam but after a few frustrated (light taps) :) to the gear shaft it came unstuck! No such luck on the second or third!

Last edited:
YEAH it really gets me scratching my head man considering that there built to ride hard hense changing gears hard :frustrated:

Pretty self explanatory, I fixed it once took it for a ride then it happened again an hour later. Don't want this to be an ongoing issue!

Oh I remember this day lol. Here I am working on chinas in townsville and some sunny coast biatch calls me and we sorted it out over these same sms piccies lol.

If it aint broke, break it.

Bahahaha. Yep thats me lol

If it aint broke, break it.

Nope, you were the one on the phone saying " you really need to keep your anger issues under control"
'Twas a stressful day, but thank you McChicken I always appreciate you're help! :p

Last edited:
I pulled mine apart now putting it back together but cant memba were the 2 lil sleeves go in the clutch cover :confused:

Sorry mate, no I haven't. I just got home! No weekend for me this week working right through to next Thursday. Will sort it out next weekend.

Latest posts

Back