Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ricky_191

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm starting a build that I like to call. Parts to pit bike.

I recently finished my last bike to a point that I was happy with.It's a mix of three or four bikes, maybe more that I made into one over the years. I also used second hand parts and ebay items to make my bike :) It turned out good so I decided to make another.

I got a bunch of parts for $50. Just parts in a big pile. So there is. 3 sets of rims and some spares, tyres,usd forks, two really good frames, one 125cc or maybe 140cc engine with carbie ect but missing loom cdi and coil, good back shock, set of ok black plastics, green seat, black seat, long range tank with cap, three swing arms.kick stand, muffler but no pipe, a box full of bearings and bolts that needs to be dropped off, and some other small bits.

Basically enough to build a motorbike with the parts that I brought and the parts left over in the shed.

The plan is to repaint the frame and engine but leave the plastics in a crap condition so I don't really care if they get broken and scratched. I will use an aluminium swing arm so I don't need to worry about paint. So the plan is to have a bike that I care about but at the same time is tough and that I don't really care if I drop.

I might do some engine mods but I don't want to spend too much on it.

My tiny car can carry a surprising amount of stuff :)

1926941_10201430923527394_1454895341_n.jpg

Thanks for reading :)

Nice one Ricky, i look foward to seein everything unfold! i noticed in the pic that the rear wheel is 14". does this mean ur going to be building a 17,and 14 inch wheeled pitbike ?

keep us posted :)

hi. I don't really know any of the rims sizes as I got it all quick and then unloaded it in the shed before my mum could see it :D

So what's the best wheel combo to run ?

well, generally with wheels, the smaller they are, the better the bike will handle, but you'll feek more bumps.

with larger wheels, you'll handle a bit worse, but the ride will be smoother :)

Hi all. I had a look at the engine I got. It's missing most of the wiring and needs a new coil and cdi box. It looks like it's a lifan 125cc. It has good compression from what I can tell and it looks like it changes gears ok. It also hasn't been sitting for a while while so that's a big change to me. It was running I think a month ago :) My last bike sat for a long time since my car took focus but I fixed it all.

I have only had ducar's but i'm guessing all these kinda engines are the same.

I will start doing some work on this bike tomorrow and hopefully not need to spend too much on it :)

Hi all. I started to re wire the engine and it's still got no spark. I think it's the CDI box or the coil so does any one know how to test them and see what needs to be changed ?

Also I went though the parts boxes I got yesterday. There is two stock chains and one KMC gold,three carbies all in bits, a few broken brake set ups, side covers,sprockets,8 axles, few grips,kill switch and a busted loom,tri clamp,handle bar mounts x 2, mixed bolts and bearings, stands, starter motor and more random parts. I think it's a big lot of stuff, some good some crap but it wasn't that much.

Today I will paint the engine and the rims if it stays sunny and hopefully work out what needs to be changed/fixed to get spark. Any ideas would be great :) thanks

Soon mate :) I tried the coil off the other bike and it doesn't have spark. I'm thinking it's the CDI box since they go bad here all the time because it's so wet. Is there a way to test it to see if it's working before I go buy parts I don't need.

Thanks

set your multimeter to 20V AC,
put your black lead from the meter to earth, and the red lead to the coil/power lead (off the loom0 that connects to the + terminal on the coil.
then kick the bike over, you will see if the CDI is putting out any power

Thanks mate. I ordered that new coil and cdi any way because even if this one does work, it's always good to have a spare. Nothing like planing a ride and having to wait a week for a part to show up.

Also I found a potential problem.. ffs I think this is bad and hard to fix. One side of the hole that the engine mount bolt goes into is snapped out. I was cleaning up the engine and found it :'( I'm thinking it's not that bad since there still is half there and pressure with hold it in too. Any way pics of it :(

1653639_10201459388759007_154949641_n.jpg

And photos. I'm sorting out all the parts that I got from the good and bad and the ones I will need to finish this bike. Most are crap and broken but there is still bits on it that I might need. Words of a true hoarder :/ That's only the boxes, there was piles that I picked up first :)

1653778_10201459430400048_385811330_n.jpg

Painted the frame. It's looking nice.

1904107_10201459457960737_797218347_n.jpg

nice one Ricky that frame looks great, looks like you got alot of parts! btw, if u wanna get rid of some stuff, please me knoe ;) looking foward to seeing more progress!!

nice one Ricky that frame looks great, looks like you got alot of parts! btw, if u wanna get rid of some stuff, please me knoe ;) looking foward to seeing more progress!!

Thanks mate. There was a whole lot of parts. I have another one of those frames and the swing arm to go with it along with a lot of rims. Some good and some crap but it was cheap.

Does any one know if it's ok to have the engine mount like that ? Would it matter that much.

with the broken centre case, i guess you could try it out and see?
just make sure the bolts that goes through it has a decent Nyloc nut on it, so it doesn't come loose.
or you might brake/crack the other side?

i reckon it'd be a good idea to get a small washer, just to go inbetween the engine and frame, just so even contact/pressure will be dispersed on the frames engine mount. that way when you tighten it, they'll be less chance of the frame engine mount warping when tightened.

i reckon it'd be a good idea to get a small washer, just to go inbetween the engine and frame, just so even contact/pressure will be dispersed on the frames engine mount. that way when you tighten it, they'll be less chance of the frame engine mount warping when tightened.

Yeah on my other one just the frame pressure was holding the engine in when the bottom bolt come out. I will see how it goes. I don't jump ect and most of my riding is done on flat grass. I'm so hard core guys :p

I'm painting the engine atm. I might do some nice candy red bits too. So much crap paint to get off first and more sanding.

maybe you could make up a cradle mount for it,
and bolt or weld that to the bottom of the frame to help support the engine too ? it will take the stress off that back mount.
the second pic is a pre made one from TBoltUSA

casesmall1.jpg

TRC-KLX110-Cradle-Mount-5.jpg

:0 that is sooo awesome. What a great idea. I might get one of those made up. Wow thanks for sharing.

Hi every one. Thanks for your help guys.

I have done some more on the pitbike. I put the engine in and painted it so it looks nice. I made a new loom and got a new coil, CDI box and spark plug and then when to go start it and get spark and nothing. It's dead.

So a few questions. I wired all the green wires to one ground but on the diagram I had it had a few grounds and no green wires were joined. Would that matter if it's only grounded to the frame ? Should I put another ground on the engine too or just put grounds every where ?

Also I took out the kill switch in case that was causing problems. I might replace the electrics on the side with a spare set.

But this problem is doing my head in, any ideas ?? Help would be greatly appreciated :D thanks guys

Latest posts

Back