Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the starter button on the handlebars usually has a red wire and a yellow wire, so it isn't them
there should be a green wire, and a black with white striped wire, they are for the kill switch, so not them

there might be a green and a red? or 2 greens, one with a white stripe ?
they usually have female spade terminal on them

There is like a pink colour... blue/pink, green with black stripe, dark red, and green.

I did this with my pit bike. I wanted the eletric start and this was one problem I had.

When I got this pit bike though, it had the old plug for the neutral thing and the cdi was pluged into that and the dude said he got it running like that lol.. So I rewired it and made up a loom and a new plug for the cdi box.

Maybe it is that wire that's stopping it getting spark. I cut them all off the plug and twisted them together and still nothing. All different combos too.

This thing that comes out next to the stator wires.

10306972_10201873777998479_1121451903_n.jpg

so the yellow coming from the CDI, that goes to the coil, is that showing any power when you kick it over.
set your meter to 200v AC,
and connect one of the leads to that yellow wire, and the other lead from the meter to earth.
then kick it over

that green plug is a gear indicator/neutral wiring, is there anywhere it can plug into ?

Interesting stuff. I joined all the wires on that plug and then got 15 volts off the yellow wire when it wasn't connected to any thing. When I connected it to the coil wiring I got nothing. So then I changed the wires around on the coil and still got nothing. I grounded the multimeter lead to the frame and then put the red wire on the yellow from the cdi and got nothing again.

took all the wires off the yellow wire, grounded the multimeter and got like 15 volts again.

I feel like we are getting close to finding the problem. It's strange.

that green plug is a gear indicator/neutral wiring, is there anywhere it can plug into ?

Nope. There was only that wire coming out of the bike when I got it and all the stator wires were cut off. There is bits of a chopped up loom in the box but I have no idea if it's off this bike or not. There was about 4 bikes all there in parts so it could be off any thing. But yep, only that plug left

ok
you might need to strip some of the insulation back on the wires and check the basic loom is all ok and connected.
there might be one broken or disconnected when it was cut back

this is a basic wiring diagram you need to check that yours is wired up like

engine-wire.jpg

I don't understand how I can get power from the cdi but when I connected to the coil that power stops :/

One thing i'm having trouble with is the wires on the coil. Ones is green and one is green with black. What goes where ?

I tested it again. I get volts with nothing connected and then when I connect the green wire it doesn't have any volts :/ Any ideas ?

I might by a loom if I can't work it out tonight

I don't understand how I can get power from the cdi but when I connected to the coil that power stops :/

One thing i'm having trouble with is the wires on the coil. Ones is green and one is green with black. What goes where ?

set your multimeter to 200 ohms, put one lead to the green, and the other lead to earth on the engine
if you get a reading, then the green is earth

try the same test on the green w/black striped wire, one lead from your meter to it, then the other lead from your meter to earth on the engine
if you get a reading here , then something is wrong with your loom

I tested the green wire and grounded the multi meter and got 5.6 ohms and then tested the green with black stripe and got 3.5 :/

Then I disconnected the coil from the loom. Held the red wire from the meter onto both wires coming off the coil and earthed the meter on the frame and got a reading. Then I moved the ground wire to the engine and it got a reading again on both wires of roughly 3.5

So does that mean the coil is broken and is grounded out if both wires are getting resistance at the coil ? It's a new farking coil ffs. I'm about 5 seconds away from spraying brake cleaner all over this bike and burning the lot while I toast marshmallows.

Last edited:
to test the ignition coil,set the meter to 200 Ohms,

place one lead to the coil earth point (mount or terminal) and the other lead to the + terminal,
it should read about .7 Ohms

now set the meter to 2000 Ohms,
unscrew the spark plug cap off the end of the spark plug lead,
and put one lead to the + terminal, and the other to earth,
it should read about 3 - 5 Ohms

I'm a bit lost. I don't know what lead out of the coil is what. There is two green and one has a black stripe. I'm guessing solid green is ground ?

I got 1.3 on both leads with the coil not connected to any thing :/

second one I got nothing... So does that mean it's a dead coil ?

Thanks for your help mate

i would try the one in the end of the lead again,
put the other lead onto anything that has clean metal on the coil

it could be a faulty spark plug lead ? they just screw in into the coil onto a self tapper style thread.
do you have another lead you could swap onto the new coil ?

The spark plug lead was only held in there by the cap. So I screwed it in and then still got nothing. So I took the lead off and tested the screw part and still nothing.

I connected the coil to the loom and still nothing :/

So is the coil broken ?

I ripped apart my working pit bike to get the coil out and still got nothing. I think it's got to do with that neutral wire. It will be stoping it from getting spark I think.

Also when I kicked it over it was making this ticking noise as the kick start come back up. So I put a spark plug in it and it has compression but it's making the intake pop :/

Is there a way to fully rip that neutral wire thing out and all the wires that go to that green plug ?

Oh and I dropped my laptop and broke the hard drive so I didn't see your post till now. Thanks for your help

I tested both coils off the bike and got 4 ohms on both wires.

It's got to be the neutral switch. We tested the yellow wire from the cdi yesterday and it was making power when I kicked it. And then when it was connected to the coil it didn't make power any more.

Latest posts

Back