Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the engine may not be getting a good earth onto the frame if it's just been painted?
or the coil mount may not be getting a good earth ?
did you bare metal where the earths touch the frame ?

try running a wire from the earth point to the engine, see if it gets a spark then

Sorry way left field here...I just have to ask....WHAT kind of lawn is that? Looks somewhat tropical and its not a running grass...but damn it looks good! The inner horticulturalist is coming out on the mini moto site!! The bike is really nice too....yeah I agree with myXR67...I've had earths on the ute fail after a couple of years due to rust because of taking it down to the steel. The screw needs to be flush with the frame...the metal of the frame, under any other coat of anything that was put on it. So it might have nickel plating which can sometimes look like bare metal. You need to earth it to bare metal...sometimes you can get away with a bolt that screws into the frame directly like one that hooks your sub frame to the main frame instead of screwing up the flash new paint job! :microwave:

Hi, yeah I cleaned off the paint on the earth but I was thinking the engine might not be contacting the frame good enough like you said.

I might add more earths around the engine and see. Is there a way I could test the stator with a multi meter and see if it's giving power before I change it ?

Hi, yeah I cleaned off the paint on the earth but I was thinking the engine might not be contacting the frame good enough like you said.

I might add more earths around the engine and see. Is there a way I could test the stator with a multi meter and see if it's giving power before I change it ?

yeah, set your meter to 200 Ohms,
blue w/white stripe and green should read around 130 Ohms
then set your meter to 2000 Ohms, and the black w/red stripe and green, it should read around 380 Ohms

Sorry way left field here...I just have to ask....WHAT kind of lawn is that? Looks somewhat tropical and its not a running grass...but damn it looks good! The inner horticulturalist is coming out on the mini moto site!!
looks like Kikuyu to me ?

Sorry way left field here...I just have to ask....WHAT kind of lawn is that? Looks somewhat tropical and its not a running grass...but damn it looks good! The inner horticulturalist is coming out on the mini moto site!! The bike is really nice too....

Hi thanks mate. umm not sure on the grass. I'm up in far north QLD and it grows all over. I think it's bufalo or maybe a mix. I don't really know. lol I picked a good spot in the yard since we had a puppy here that dug it all up so there is un even bits till it grows out :) And thanks for your comment :)

Also I will test it now. Thanks

I hope I tested this right. I don't have the wiring colours that you said but i'm pretty sure i'm on the right pin on the cdi. I got 137 for the blue and green and 558 for the black/red and green.

what colour wires do you have ?
it's not an Outer Rotor setup is it ?

the source coil sounds too high resistance, the black w/red stripe and green.
do you have another stator you can test and swap over ?

Hi, I didn't have a plug for the cdi or a loom so I made it all out of a chopped up one. I got the wires close to what they should be but some are not the right colour.

So should I just test the wires coming out of the spare stators like before ??

yeah same way, earth can also be to the stator backing plate too

Awesome I suspected it was Buffalo...People in Adelaide want to grow Buffalo grass but its just silly, we dont have even close the the right conditions for it...I'm just impressed someone can grow the stuff...I've seen that many people try and fail here! Earths can be tricky, make sure any connectors aren't corroded as well and have good solid connections at any joints...as all of us on copper phonelines know...copper doesn't have the greatest lifespan when exposed to oxygen and water....

Green and blue one is 149 and the red/black and green was 586...

Blue w/white - Timing Trigger
Green - Earth
Black w/white - Kill Switch
Black w/red - AC Igniton Power/Source Coil
Black w/yellow - Ignition coil

with your multimeter set on 2000 Ohms, or 200 Ohms
when you touch the red and black test leads together, what reading do you get ?

the spare one didn't have a cdi box on it. I will have a look at the cdi again.

with your multimeter set on 2000 Ohms, or 200 Ohms
when you touch the red and black test leads together, what reading do you get ?

it changes when I move the pins but 1.4 I think.

Tested another one, blue/white with green is 126 and black/red is 554 ??

is there a adjuster screw somewhere on the front of your meter ?
if there is, take note of where the slot is pointing now, then hold the test leads touching together
try adjusting the screw a little to the left, or right.
you want it as close to 0 as possible

otherwise the battery may be a bit flat ?

it seems strange to get those readings (both close) from 2 different stators ?

Latest posts

Back