Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 21036

Reaction score
Hey everyone!
My names Matt and I hope to be on this forum for many years to come

Basically got a couple of questions.
I bought one of those $200 mini moto's off eBay that have those flames. You probably know the one. I got it on an ebay auction brand new for $162.50

Question 1)
Anyway basically the fuel tank was leaking, Which i found strange. It has clips holding it on, I moved these and pulled them tighter and it didn't seem to work. There seemed to be fuel/oil above this line, So could fuel be leaking upwards or is there a leak in the tank?
Anyway I ended up electrical taping up all of the tank which I think has stopped it.

Question 2)
After I ride heaps of fuel comes out of a clear fuel line thats facing that ground on the bottom of the bike.
I don't think its supposed to leak out but why else would there be a fuel line there?

Question 3)
My fuel tank cap has a little pin hole in the top of it... It looks like it's ment to be there but fuel gets shaken up and sprays at me and onto the seat.

Here's a few photos of what I mean about the clear fuel line leaking petrol

Fuel Leaking Out

free upload
This is what the fuel is leaking from

pc screenshot
Fuel also squirts out this pinhole over bumps

imagen
The bike

welcome to miniriders,

make sure you drop by into the Introduce Yourself thread and say g'day too.

the fuel tank shouldnt be leaking fuel.
have you tried drying it all off with a rag and looking where it's coming from exactly ?
if it is where the hose slips onto the barb on the bottom of the tank it might just need a new better clamp
maybe one from a lawnmower shop ?

the clear tube the goes down and under the carby is just a vent tube.
fuel will only come out there is the float is set too high, or if there is something stuck in the needle and set.
maybe pull the fuel hose off the carby and let it drain some fuel into a clean icecream container
see if there is any bits of plastic etc in it.
it there is it is probably the needle and seat that's causing the overflowing out the hose.

with fuel coming out the vent on the fuel cap,
you could add a breather tube to help stop it leaking.
they are pretty cheap on ebay fuel vent | eBay
or don't fill the tank as much

the front fender looks a bit crooked ?
is the bracket bent down ?

$_12.JPG

Last edited:
The pin hole on top of your fuel cap is a fuel breather, supposed to let air in but not fuel out attach a hose to it and run decently long down under your bars and onto where the headstem is

that clear fuel line looks like the carburettor overflow.. need a pic showing where the line is attached to on the carburettor

You bought a good bike to learn to work on you will be working on it for as long as you own the bike sorry to say

welcome to miniriders bud my lil cousin got the same bike mate she's had nothing but problems with it

Yeah, I don't suspect it will be going for long, I don't have anywhere to ride and might ride it around 6 times a year haha.
I found something that was supposed to be on the fuel tank cap and has stopped it leaking.

Yep did some research and it's the carby overflow. I did try to get it out but the exhaust is in the way so I didn't bother. I just have to turn the fuel off on the carby to stop it leaking.
I don't mind having to turn the fuel off, As long as it won't leak when it's running?

Yeah, I don't suspect it will be going for long, I don't have anywhere to ride and might ride it around 6 times a year haha.
I found something that was supposed to be on the fuel tank cap and has stopped it leaking.

Yep did some research and it's the carby overflow. I did try to get it out but the exhaust is in the way so I didn't bother. I just have to turn the fuel off on the carby to stop it leaking.
I don't mind having to turn the fuel off, As long as it won't leak when it's running?

It may leak while running to fix take the carby off, set the float height and then re-install
if not dont worry about it ride the bastard till you get the pitty bug and get a decent one :p

It may leak while running to fix take the carby off, set the float height and then re-install
if not dont worry about it ride the bastard till you get the pitty bug and get a decent one :p

Do you think it will be the float height? Got any details on how to set it?
Are there certain levels to set it at and do I need to set it higher or lower than it already is?

imo, it is most likely dirt or plastic bits stopping the needle and seat from closing.

Do you think it will be the float height? Got any details on how to set it?
Are there certain levels to set it at and do I need to set it higher or lower than it already is?
You need the floats to cut the fuel off earlier as so it does not fill the bowl over the jets too far or on to the overflow tube..
So you need to bend the little tab up a slight bit

Whats inside a conventional carby?
[video=youtube;-QJrQt2SnBg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QJrQt2SnBg[/video]
[video=youtube;3_OC3e2T8JM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_OC3e2T8JM[/video]

Hey everyone, I'm feeling pretty stupid but I think the fuel is leaking from the top cap now....
I swore some fuel was leaking out of the overflow but let's tackle the fuel cap first.

I put plumbing tape around the threads, but it still doesn't seal properly.
I'm not sure if its coming out the bottom or if it's coming out the top somewhere.

Can I just cover up the hole that releases pressure, Or is it needed for a reason?

that vent hole needs to let air in as fuel comes out through the tap.
otherwise it will get to a point where there is a vacuum holding the fuel back.

if you are only filling the tank 3/4 full it shouldn't be splashing around that much and be leaking

that vent hole needs to let air in as fuel comes out through the tap.
otherwise it will get to a point where there is a vacuum holding the fuel back.

if you are only filling the tank 3/4 full it shouldn't be splashing around that much and be leaking

It only happens when I shake the tank around a fair bit, I haven't tried just riding it... I can't ride it at my house since I don't wanna piss off the neighbours

Thanks everybody, Turns out fuel was leaking out of the cap/tank where it joins.
eBay seller has sent out a replacement tank

Matt

Hi everyone, I pulled the bike apart today because I was bored and it just loses all power and stalls after I ride it like 100 metres.
I took off the carby put a few pieces fell out which I don't know where they go.

First of all the float fell out, And it's flat on one side but on the other it has a few bumps in it. Which was up does it go?

I put everything back together but now it doesn't want to start, And there wasn't any fuel in the bowl.... Any ideas?

Please help!

Last edited:
the bump side of the float goes to the bottom of the fuel bowl.

is there a drain screw on the bottom of the fuel bowl?
if so, loosen it a few turns and check fuel is coming out.
then re tighten it.

what ratio are you mixing the petrol and oil at ?
and can you give me an example of how much oil you mix with how much petrol.

Last edited:
I think i've located the problem, The float needle keeps getting stuck... Any ideas on how to stop it from sticking? It's sticking all the way in so now fuel can come through

Last edited:
I think i've located the problem, The float needle keeps getting stuck... Any ideas on how to stop it from sticking? It's sticking all the way in so now fuel can come through
find out where its hanging up on and use a little emery cloth on it dont touch the sealing surface

does your carby have a white fuel tap on the side of it ?

if it does, the needle can't stick anywhere ?
is the pin with the little round head, on the needle, running in the slot of the brass float arms

Latest posts

Back