Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That photo will be great for when I get around to it this afternoon. Thanks

yeah,
the the main thing is, the top of the float needs to be parrallel to the base of the carby

that little brass tab in the middle of the float arm should be sitting at somewhere around a 25°-35° angle off the float arm

also while it is apart,
i would double check that there's noting in the needle and seat, or fuel tap, that could cause a problem.
if your carby has the tap with 2 screws holding the on/off knob on, undo them, remove the ring, the knob, and the spring.
you should find a rubber seal behind them.
take note to what way it is sitting, so you can reassemble it the same.
take the rubber seal out and wipe it dry straight away so it doesn't swell up.
then blow through the inlet hose end barb, making sure it isn't blocked.

then try and blow through the seat, where the needle sits into, and it should also be clear and unblocked.
then you should be good to reassemble everything and try it out.

do you have a fuel filter somewhere in between the bottom of the fuel tank and the tap on the carby ?
if not, it would pay to get one for it, most auto parts places havethe small fuel filter for a couple of $
otherwise a lawnmower shop.
then cut the fuel line and fit the new fuel filter into each end of the cut line.
this will help stop problems later on.

something like this one
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-x-FUEL..._Parts_Accessories&hash=item4acbae8649&_uhb=1

yeah,
the the main thing is, the top of the float needs to be parrallel to the base of the carby

that little brass tab in the middle of the float arm should be sitting at somewhere around a 25°-35° angle off the float arm

also while it is apart,
i would double check that there's noting in the needle and seat, or fuel tap, that could cause a problem.
if your carby has the tap with 2 screws holding the on/off knob on, undo them, remove the ring, the knob, and the spring.
you should find a rubber seal behind them.
take note to what way it is sitting, so you can reassemble it the same.
take the rubber seal out and wipe it dry straight away so it doesn't swell up.
then blow through the inlet hose end barb, making sure it isn't blocked.

then try and blow through the seat, where the needle sits into, and it should also be clear and unblocked.
then you should be good to reassemble everything and try it out.

do you have a fuel filter somewhere in between the bottom of the fuel tank and the tap on the carby ?
if not, it would pay to get one for it, most auto parts places havethe small fuel filter for a couple of $
otherwise a lawnmower shop.
then cut the fuel line and fit the new fuel filter into each end of the cut line.
this will help stop problems later on.

something like this one
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-x-FUEL..._Parts_Accessories&hash=item4acbae8649&_uhb=1

Ah... I suspect it's the fuel tap. I saw a litle bit of bark kind of stuff in there, Tried to get it out but couldn't... I didn't think the fuel tap would be the cause I thought it was simply an open close mechanism which allows fuel in fed with gravity...

I've actually bought another carby off eBay so i'll try and fix this one in the mean time. And use the other as a spare or use this one for parts

EDIT: I took off the fuel tap, still leaks, Bent metal clip thingy, still leaks.
It's beyond me what's wrong with it so i'm going to give up and wait for the replacement to arrive

Last edited:
The fuel tap was **** on the one my friend had too.. i found putting a washer before the plate putting it onto the on position and then tightening it down and leaving it there gave a decent seal..

It has a little metal ring in it, Almost like a washer. Mine is like a warped wheel and won't provide a seal at all.

If I put a washer in there to seal it, Could it solve my problem?

that washer is to provide tension..
so i added a washer behind that to force oit on the surface it still leaked a little but not as much

Got bored today, So i pulled down the whole engine.
The replacement carby has been working great so far.

Pulled out the spark plug... Hole **** didn't know they came out in a charcoal colour...
It's so so black after i've tried to clean it. Took the head off also and the top of the head is just fully black, And has I think cracks in it... I can't afford to replace it so I don't mind. I'll put pictures up soon.
I assume the blackness means i'm running very very rich... To adjust this I change the little clip on the throttle cable yes? Do I move it up or down? I think i'll move it 2 or 3 notches because it's so black...

I'll take pics now and upload them

I also wanted to have a look at the valve clearances, But the motor doesn't have a rocker cover... I even took off the head cause I thought it might be hiding under there but do these motors even have valves????

Last edited:
how many mls of oil do you mix with how many mls/litres of your petrol ?

Mixed it 25:1

I'll moved the little clip up to the highest notch (So more needle will be inside the carb) And then test it out

Heres some photos

the colour of the plug doesn't look too bad, same in the combustion chamber area.

has the bike been started and ridden since you have moved the needle clip ?
to check the plug colour properly, you need to hold it at full throttle for around 20 seconds or more.
then turn the engine off, and stop the bike, then pull the plug out immediately and check the colour

i would buy a brand new decent quality plug for it too, chuck that china one, and fit an NGK BM6A
Bunnings sell them.

i used to run my kids 50cc quad at 32/1, with the needle clip on the second notch down.

Got bored today, So i pulled down the whole engine.
The replacement carby has been working great so far.

Pulled out the spark plug... Hole **** didn't know they came out in a charcoal colour...
It's so so black after i've tried to clean it. Took the head off also and the top of the head is just fully black, And has I think cracks in it... I can't afford to replace it so I don't mind. I'll put pictures up soon.
I assume the blackness means i'm running very very rich... To adjust this I change the little clip on the throttle cable yes? Do I move it up or down? I think i'll move it 2 or 3 notches because it's so black...

I'll take pics now and upload them

I also wanted to have a look at the valve clearances, But the motor doesn't have a rocker cover... I even took off the head cause I thought it might be hiding under there but do these motors even have valves????
Its a 2 stroke mate, no valves to worry about :) other than a reed valve (not even sure if this motor has one) look on youtube for how they work, there pretty simple really

the plugs you can only read when the plug is new and you plug chop it.. 2t are quite hard to jet (mainly go down sizes till the plug is brown not black) but then your leaning towards a shorter engine life but more power

Latest posts

Back