Psto.. my new/second hand Lxr clone

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do it! Ive had the 190 braaap pro, and I honestly didnt think linkage would make much difference, but I was so wrong! The lxr/pstos feel like they have twice the rear end grip.

Do it! Ive had the 190 braaap pro, and I honestly didnt think linkage would make much difference, but I was so wrong! The lxr/pstos feel like they have twice the rear end grip.

Hi mate can l ask you .. were do you believe you were losing rear grip? . what type of riding. l feel that a linkage will be useful and more progressive in a state forest. l still haven't made up my mind on the Braaap .. Ok for bumming around. It tends to land hard on jumps. . The euro mx guys don't mind them .. lm not to sure about either.

Trail riding, in steep and rutty country. For example when zwebx came down we ran a rutty as hill climb, and he was on the braaap but with a gpx125 in it and I wa on the psto with no second, and I smashed it while he had to have a second crack, all down to I ould nail the throtle and feel confident in the back end, where as zwebx had to muscle the bike to where he wanted it. He braaap has a elka, but its still has nothing on the crap shocked linkage. When it had the 190 in it I was struggling so badly to get the power down in the rough stuff that it made the bike unpredictable.

Trail riding, in steep and rutty country. For example when zwebx came down we ran a rutty as hill climb, and he was on the braaap but with a gpx125 in it and I wa on the psto with no second, and I smashed it while he had to have a second crack, all down to I ould nail the throtle and feel confident in the back end, where as zwebx had to muscle the bike to where he wanted it. He braaap has a elka, but its still has nothing on the crap shocked linkage. When it had the 190 in it I was struggling so badly to get the power down in the rough stuff that it made the bike unpredictable.

l can see that. l think a non linkage will blow out in the forest. surprisingly on bigger bikes lve owned ( KTM 300) no linkage _ it was a pretty good all rounder. l would agree like other posts a non linkage has a place on a mx track , and preferably not sitting down to often. l have a spare Fastace shock l might try just to convince my self wether it is the Elka at fault or the non linkage.

I think ktm perfected the pds system, and the elka braaap use is sprung to hard for trail riding, same with the engi forks. Just to stiff on the trails. Im yet to bottom the engis out, even with 5 weight fork oil, but they are sooo stiff, and prone to chatter at high speed. Im very keen to mod a cr80 shock into the psto like one of the other members on here, I think it was kosta? But I could be wrong on that lol.

How much sag are you guys running ?
i haven't set mine up to suit me yet, and the Braaap has harder feel in both the front and rear compared to my Fuse (non linkage rear)
But over jumps the Braaap is pretty smooth (furthest i jumped was a couple of metres)
and with me being a beginner at that sort of riding i hadn't sussed where to put my weight for landings etc etc
i reckon i even landed a bit hard on the front a few times, but didn't bottom the forks out or give me a harsh ride either.

Best I could get with the spring tension backed all the way out was around 80mm sag when I sat on it, but it does like to be jumped, just hates rocky trails, drop offs and ruts. I found it to stiff on the trails, to the point where it would skip over rough terrain instead of soaking it up, and under full throttle im sure you can imagine how hairy that can get with a 190.. its not the big stuff it cant handle, it loves to be jumped and landed heavy, sprung perfect for that, but get in rough and technical terrain and it falls to bits imo.

Yeah i get you now,
Mine used to be able to put around a lot more with the Mikuni 22.
but now it needs to be pointed in the direction you want to head and open the throttle to the approximate speed you need, and away you go.
it might need some over carbing to get a bit more low down ride-ability out of it and still have the top end.

i get about 25mm sag in the rear and about 10mm in the front.

Last edited:
l couldn't tell you how much sag lm running. l keep mucking around with it. Rebound is 1/2 way. lt is definitely more comfortable in jumping at a higher speeds. The front feels good for me either at turning or high speeds lm running about 10 out for rebound and 12 compression . l have also played with front tire pressure 12 psi l like. At this stage l have tested on a hard surface. On my track there is a stretch of corrugated track were the shock works overtime . On a linkage bike 450 l still need to slightly get off the seat . Travelling about the same speed , The Braaap behaves the same though using my knees for a pivot and off the seat .. l think that this has to be something l have to work around. Mates that have jumped onto the Braaap hand it back to me saying they don't like it.

Some of the trails are one line will get you through safe, every other line equals pain for you or your rims, or both, and the braaap is not made for that stuff. I only took the psto out twice before it crapped the rings, but it was so much more accurate, the rear followed the front so sweetly, even under full throttle. When it did dance through the ruts it felt predictable, not scary as hell lol.

Finally made some progress on parts, I have to do a massive shout to classichonda50s, I couldnt order online as their site isnt mobile/tablet friendly, and they explained the problem and made the order for me via email. The best customer service I have experienced, and he even threw in some tb valve seals free! Absolute legends, I cant thank them enough. Anyways, should have all the parts here next week :)

Last edited:
Jamie is a boss. Have brought a few things through him always up for a chat too.

I cleaned the combustion chamber up tonight, installed the new valve stem seals (different in size and colour to the ones I got?) Got halfway through reassembling the head to discover I have misplaced the inlet valve rocker retaining pin/gudgeon pin whatever its called. Will have to find it tomorrow, I think it fell out of the bag somhow grrrr
7c112c0e33c3f0dc3e3be460c348a114.jpg
fc3b7c07b2506e2345d53cbf77121d92.jpg
e1e4376fd8b500d222ceb090c3d38e6d.jpg

I cant get a decent photo, but im pretty sure my rockers are shot, the rollers feel notchy, have a lot of play in them, and the surface is pitted to buggery :( will have to order a set of alloy rockers I think

I dont think so, havnt tried to hard to pull the roller out. I think buying new alloy rockers, while being more expensive, will be more rewarding lol. I was planning on doing that anyway, but not so soon, but I will at least be able to whats involved converting a stock head to roller rockers now I have useless roller rockers lying around :)

I dont think so, havnt tried to hard to pull the roller out. I think buying new alloy rockers, while being more expensive, will be more rewarding lol. I was planning on doing that anyway, but not so soon, but I will at least be able to whats involved converting a stock head to roller rockers now I have useless roller rockers lying around :)
im pretty sure these are bushed rockers and they were not pitted before?
The inlet valve collet :D

I was going to go to the alloy ones soon enough :D apparently they bake quite a big difference (and i have felt the alloy ones in my hands and the std ones and i can feel the difference

whats involved converting a stock head to roller rockers now I have useless roller rockers lying around :)?
Depending on the ramp angles on the cam you can slot them into the other head no prob..

Latest posts

Back