Psto.. my new/second hand Lxr clone

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice mate!!

So VIC it is then? haha

Depends how hot you like it really. But we have a tonne of sick riding down here especially when you go bush. :)

Man I lived in Tasmania for the first 7 years of my life and I don't remember it snowing except when we went to Cradle mountain.

I lived in Ballarat for 5 years after that and it snowed a heap of times!

My opinion, Victoria's colder than Tassie! :)

Move to Queensland dude, the cold will never bother you again!

But the heat might! :D

Haha, we had snow down here a month ago, twenty minutes drive from our house! You just dont get a summer down here, its rained for the last week I reckon.

Finally!!
568d6b3ddc548f9c72df66f6060900a9.jpg

I need to sort out bash plate and oil cooler lines, so close now

Does your GPX have barb's for the oil cooler into the case ?

Does your GPX have barb's for the oil cooler into the case ?
Nah its running the banjos, both 160s now have barb outlets from the case, but I dont have any oil resistant hose that size left. The tb bore has the really wide mount for bash plate, so none of the four bash plates I have will fit it grrrrrr

From memory it is just the one side that's wider, the l/h ?

Could you bend the front tab out a bit? maybe step it out sort of thing ?
Or trim it down and make a bolt on stepped bracket to adapt that side and make it wider with a couple of 90° bends?

I have seen some on ebay that only have the r/h mount at the front.

Yeah thats the one craig. I will sort something out, maybe cut the left hand mount off the bash plate. Im getting close to firing her up now though :)

Went for a ride today, was a blast! No rear brakes still, tried to get the set off the outlaw to work but they arent interchangeable. No biggie, gives me a excuse to hunt down some nissin gear..
On a bigger down side, second has started to surge on this bottom end now, not noticable on dirt so much but tarmac definately :( I'm not going to worry about it until the bottom ****s itself completely. Made a mess of my back rim though
Will need to find some quality rims and hubs seeing as I cant go big wheel on this bike either (head rubs on front wheel on landing) sm pro or excel, dont no yet. Goes like a cut cat though!!

So went for a hard ride today, bout 35 mins long, and got home to discover a pool of oil on the bash plate. Its from the breather on the head, but there seems to be way to much oil there for my liking, am I being paranoid? I will say the bike spent a lot of that time at wot, and high rpm, but I wouldnt expect as much oil as there is. Its not a stream, more a drip drip, and I can feel pressure through the hose if I put my finger over it, almost like a pulse.

Breather on the top of the gearbox ?
Are the rings bedded in yet?
How many hours has it done now?

It has a breather on the inlet valve cover, thats the one leaking. The crank breather isnt blocked. Around 5 to 6 hours on it, im no longer in the run in phase or I wouldnt be running at wot for long runs like I did today lol. Its had 2 oil changes since its rebuild, and the oil from the last oil change was pretty clear.

Is the head breather running up and into the steering head tube ?
Or is it shorter and breathing through a filter ?

On the rebuild did you stagger the ring end gaps ?
And have you tried blowing air into the crankcase breather hose ?

Checked the head bolts are still tight ?
And do the nut's spring back when tightening/checking them ?

Last edited:
Its running from the head along one of the oil cooler lines to the bash plate and just venting to open air. Staggered the ring gaps, and I pulled the crank vent hose off and its not blocked, looks like it has vented a little oil to, had a tiny amount of oil on the end of the hose. I dont have a torque wrench, so everything is just done by feel, the headbolts feel tight, what exactly do you mean by spring back when checking the tension on the headbolts?

When you check the head nuts are tight on the studs, the spanner can spring back a little?
If this happens it mean's the nuts are bottoming out on the studs before they get tight.
This can cause the head gasket to leak, and can let compression into the crankcase.
It's an easy fix if it's happening, just add an extra washer under the dome nuts.

The other thing is when riding for long periods at high rpms, some oils can aerate and have lot's of tiny bubbles though it.
This can sit up in the breather hoses, then when you use engine braking you get a bit more blow by past the rings and it pushes the oil etc out the breathers
Next time you take it out for a long run, pull over and check the oil on the dipstick, see if there are a heap of tiny air bubbles though it

With the crankcase vent,
try blowing through the hose with it connected to the crank case still, there could be a blockage in the baffle inside the case ?

Last edited:
I did find one head nut that seemed to spring back ever so slightly so I will add a washer to all 4 so its even over all four head studs.
I think I might go back to the castrol gp1, im using castrol activ atm, as it was on sale and I didnt fancy running the 60 dollar oil during run in. Tbh im ready to sell the p.o.s and buy one new, or just giveup on minis and buy a real bike!

Got the better of me, new bottom end, going to chuck a stock valve cap back onto it, will stop the bike getting oil everywhere from the breather. Put new back brake setup on, bought the lxr one expecting them to be the same, they werent but between the old ones and new I now have working brakes :)
d75bdf8585c7197cee2d8f1b29ebc5ee.jpg

8238348d646758406ce5c802f98f0458.jpg
06ea1a60db3b4fc80e5d9b77f02691c6.jpg

900mls. Never did pin point the problem, but the old bottom end had a 5mm gap between rod and crank, with some nasty heat marks on the gudgeon pin to. Couldnt have helped the situation lol.

Latest posts

Back