Should I be concerned?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clinton3

Reaction score
Hey all,

Today I bought a Dirtmax Dominator +r. 160cc It cost $2995 new but I got it second hand with about 5 hours on it. It's never seen anything more then a small paddock.

This is my first big bore engine and I have two concerns with it:

Firstly: The engine is quite loud, not the exhaust but the engine head makes quite a lot of noise as the pisten moves. Also the vibration through the foot pegs seems very strong. My 125 had little to no vibration in comparison. Is this just normal for big bore engines?

Secondly: I changed the oil and the sump screw's magnetic portion was covered in large metal filings. Also the oil filter was full of fine metal filings. Is this normal?

Cheers

Clinton

Sounds normal. Try valve adjustment, but the top ends are noisy, regardless. The trans and rest of the engine is still breaking in so the metal is normal. Next oil change, pull the clutch cover and clean the lower screen as well. There's likely a bit of clutch disk break in fiber/fuzz on it. They shake a bit, too, compared to the smaller ones. Shoulda sat on my 251cc job during free-rev. lol

The way you describe the vibration and the metal flakes it sounds like its not normal to me.
You shouldnt feel much vibration through the foot pegs. Nothing that would be described as "very strong".
Without hearing it run it would be hard to say what it is but first of all I would start by adjusting your valves. Changing the engine oil and cleaning out all the metal flakes including the screen inside the clutch cover as the person above mentioned.

metal flakes is very normal, as is clutch fiber blocking up the internal oil screen.

vibration can very from engine to engine i guess.. but iv never known one to be what i call bad..

Same thing happened with my bike, it has a yx 160 and still has alot of fine metal particles in the oil after its second oil change and about 5-10hrs use. just reset my valve clearances then and found the engine to be alot quieter, it did seem to have a bit of a rattle from the head before. also revving easier now and pops the front wheel up with a bit less effort.

yeah the rattling is usually the the rocker gear as im pretty sure genuine klx/ksr heads run a wave washer on one side of the rocker to stop the rocker floating..

Latest posts

Back