Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok got the engine about done......I found time YAAAY now has anyone tried to drop the foot pegs even a little? Thinking maybe a small bit just enough to change position a lil already looking to bigger risers too have no issues riding fully just want a better feel and look

Haven't seen anyone do it, but there are some available for different bikes
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/...WrgnTYJzAXt8vrkyo9fxZUTK12d7K_l_MelPiJ0TqtNEQ

Foot-peg-wide-1-Trakker-black2-300w.png

With the standard peg's on the DS being steel it wouldnt be had to cut the end's off and make a steel plate to weld to the peg with the steel going up from the peg, then weld the mount's back on to the top of the plate
Same sort of step down as the peg's above ^
You'd need to lengthen the brake rod for the rear too to lower the brake pedal toe pad as well.
Gear lever can be lowered by turning it 1 spline or 2 to suit

Other option could be swapping frame's, find a pre '82 RM80 frame fork's and swingarm and transfer the DS80 part's across to it.
The early 80's RM 's use 17/14 wheel's too

The second options $ and also harder for me to find without having it shipped I thought of it as of right now all this is to be honest is a thought I am Doing. The risers tho.

Anyone have any expertise in these transmissions it my turn to ask. I can tear down and reassemble a YAmaha or Honda trAns easy peasy......for some reason this is my umpteenth time assembling this one and every time once the halves are assembled ....it won't shift and the shafts turn but gears aren't fully aligned

It wouldn't be much that's wrong in there.
I haven't rebuilt a DS gearbox, only split the cases on an early RM80 to replace a water seal.
Do you have it in neutral, both shift drum and gear's when reassembling it

You might need to get a clymer manual for it, even on a cd or in pdf format, they're cheap on ebay about $10

It works well apart then seems like I'm pinching something upon putting the halves together because that's when the happy feelings stop lol

Are you assembling the engine with it upright, eg not on it's side ?
If it's on it's side the shift rod can move in the engine and cause problem's

I think I've assembled it sidupdownways lol 13 hr days on a 325 deg f paver has my head a bit scrambled lol I'll try a test fit sideways with no gasket first see if that's my issue lol I feel kinda dumb if it is I've been doing this stuff a while should've thought of it just smh I need a vacation

Figured it out and it was the dumbest thing. It had no oil the one part I didn't coat it. Had a snug fit and was a tiny bit pinched works perfect now

Ok lifting it a lil using metal from some cbr suspension gonna work on the front forks next
187341ee459195a61c80e01e0834e5ac.jpg
41b1c0bba1d78d47ca66e24bcf6bb49c.jpg
9c90f44470355284b422aaffbb80a4d5.jpg

Sent from my LGLS660 using Tapatalk

With the new height odviously comes the chain against the slider thinking of adding a roller to keep it over the pivot because when its used the only movement would be away from the pivot point so it wouldnt tension any more than it is without anyone on it if u get my wording

Doing lil r&d if you will for now to get the right rake frame angle ect. As i admit i jumped a little fast on my addition and it was just ridden as a test im very meticulous with my junk and plus i cannot rest without tinkering lol. By adding over an inch of length to the linkage it made the bike seat from 25.5" into 27" tall if i can do the math right ( lol i can do math mommy wow lol) i wanna overcomplicate it and ...i had to add that lol i want to get it 100% custom to me

Remember how the fork's were bent when you bought it ?
The frame look's like it might be a little bent at the front just below the gusset, top of the down tube
If it is then it'll make the bike about 1" shorter wheelbase and woint help the high speed stability of it.
Watch out with the lengthened linkage too, it may make the rear shock too stiff ?

Compare your frame to this pic

$T2eC16d,!ygE9s7HKLOkBQYhPR2BY!~~60_35.JPG

Nah didnt make it stiff at all i actually was able to get full travel and adjusted it a lil softer the rear end rode nice just wanted to expiriment on diff sizes i guess i could be bent idk ill have it apart come at least thurs i inspect and compare then. It seems like a likely idea but the frame shown no wrinkles fractures ect. I agree with the stability mainly im looking into an idea i came up with i want to even it out i only need about under and inch added on. I never had one to compare to tho ill look into the bend it makes sense as the carb was angled a lil forward stock and always had a diff feel than a normal bike

Latest posts

Back