Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hate to ask and be annoying but would copper rtv substitute? I have a ton of it and am short on cash due to all my bills this week

Is it a copper head gasket ?
If so you could reanneal it,
Clean it up with scotchbrite, then heat it up with a gas torch till it's red hot then immediately quench it in cold water
Make sure the head and cylinder are both clean before fitting it and torquing it up.

7bc0562040b56e3910c94a06a551e9d3.jpg

Plain ole 2x4 and some Emory later lol

Lol, a thick piece of glass would be better, flatter
You can even surface the barrel's and head's with some valve grinding paste straight onto the glass

But i guess your way has worked, nice work !

Here is one way of doing a head if the spark plug is central/square

[video=youtube;mTv7KfWtE4g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTv7KfWtE4g[/video]

Neat can use all the ideas for my lil fledgeling shop. It really pulls good in all gears and runs swell now I just need gas and my wife a new atv

Have you checked the compression since you Skimmed the head? I am wondering what the correct compression should be on this bike. My DS80 has lost compression since rebuild with all new gaskets and I was thinking maybe this might be my problem too. I had about 88 PSI before Top end rebuild, New piston, new rings and cylinder bored to 49.50. Now has about 65 PSI after running the motor in for about a total of 90 min. I think the rings should have seated by now and had more compression.

As xr has said takes about three tanks of fuel but 65 psi is kinda low was it honed? I only ask of the honing because I've seen a few times someone had rings put in with just a smooth bore and it won't seat . Any engine should be at least over 70-80 psi (worn but working)check your gauge too. I'm running about 120 or so psi

Last edited:
It was professionally bored and honed... Should have had them do it all I guess.

Oh ok yeah if not broken in right it could lead to premature ring wear I'd guess idk don't go by my word I'd just have it checked or even check out your gauge sometimes they can be off

I was able to get around 115 PSI average with a different gauges. Three gauges all gave three different readings. Low reading was 105, High reading was 120.

I figured some new parts are due so I ordered some spanky new mikuni jets an idle screw and looking into fixing my throttle cable as it is frayed on the carb end. Instead of ordering direct Suzuki ds80 parts I went through mikuni heck of a lot cheaper

WhAt's a good replacement cable when you have the oil pump byspassed...I'm taking that I need to custom make it ugh I hate extra work lol

I swear there's a lot of bad advice on the internet as far as someone trying to convince a noob 50:1 means more oil and wondering why the top end went my main issue is if I get the two part cable the mixer for the oil pump cable and throttle hangs up when there is unequal pull back

You could use most pit bike throttle cable's on the DS, just find one a similar length with the right amount of cable hanging out the end of the outer.
TBoltUS have quite a few listed

Are you running the oil pump still ?

50/1 has less oil than 32/1, running it at 50/1 make's the atomised fuel richer as there is less oil in it.

Latest posts

Back