Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ngk B7ES, gap them around .028" and .032" (Use with 5K Ohm resistor cap)
The better plug is the NGK BR7EIX, only gap it once before it is used/heat cycled (use with non resistor cap)

I'd only use a colder plug if you can hear it detonating, mine with a stock heat range plug(7) on 38° C day's here was fine.

Thank you . Posting a video to show a lil test run. It has some noise sounds like from top end not like normal detonation running 93octane is this like a normal sound for this bike? The rm etc don't have all that only reasons I ask really. Otherwise it's been decent tuned it a lil more since the vid was taken. Honestly every mechanic I know of likes to bounce ideas off others ect so I figured ask around lol.

Last edited:
Honestly thinking leaky head gasket explains the sometimes sluggish nature after warm up but it's running a tad rich if anything atm
It's one of those didn't have time to check and going out of my mind atm deals lol

Last edited:
You could try spraying some wd40 where the head and barrel meet while the engine is running, look for bubbles

Have you done a plug chop with a clean spark plug yet ?
Hold it at wot in 3rd or 4th for 15 second's then turn the engine off, do it on a slight incline if possible so it's under load
Pull the clutch in and stop the bike, then pull the plug out to check the colour of the porcelain just below the electrode

To check if it's running rich, tape off half of the intake to the air box and see if it make's a difference to the way it run's

What number are the jet's you're running it with now ?

Standard should be a #25 pilot and a #87.5 main
Iirc, i reckon i used a 30 in my pilot, and 85 in the main

So how is the response off idle?
Does it drop back down to idle speed pretty quick or does it hang for a bit ?
If there's a slight hesitation when you pull on the throttle, or if it hang's on the rev's as you release the throttle it is a bit lean on the Pilot Jet

They use the VM22/210 type pilot jet's, on the left in the pic

Mikuni_Jets.gif

I wonder if it would be worth taking the carby off and pulling the Needle jet out.
They come out from the top once the Main jet and washer have been removed from the base of the carby
If they haven't been out for a while it might need soaking in wd40 or carby cleaner to help loosen it
There are tiny hole's across that jet that can easily block up,
this wont allow as much air to mix with the fuel at higher rpm's and make it run rich

http://i598.photobucket.com/albums/tt62/xrfairmont67/mini bike/2013-08-150012013-08-15002.jpg

Another thing to check is in the top of the needle jet, the hole where the needle sit's should be round
If it's elongated to an oval shape that allow's it to draw more fuel into the engine

I have a hang on the idle response with not so (lol forgot) stock pilot but I have a new #30 I just never put it in the mikuni main jets I ordered were claimed to fit however the threaded end is too thick

Last edited:
Cleaned the carb top from bottom needle jet included use a copper wire piece d soak whole thing in carb cleaner even cleaned the choke cirquit

I'll put it this way tank was low on fuel ran near empty creating a semi lean issue and it ran normally lol but when full runs rich

I guess if the head gasket is leaking, you'd be losing a bit of compression there.
Have you got any TorqueTite

Have you replaced the ring's ?
They might not have bedded in properly yet, it takes about 3 full tank's

A new oem set of ring's is around $25, pistons are around $40 -$50
There's a Wiseco 1mm over piston/ring kit on ebay for $66

Found these original 96 - 00 side panel's on ebay too
They look pretty straight , just strip them back and give them a polish, for $10 + post you can't go wrong !!
Suzuki DS80 Side Cover Set | eBay

And if you are any good at plastic welding, or know someone who is, a rear fender with a crack at the back for $24 + post
Suzuki DS80 DS 80 Rear Fender Mud Flap Guard Plastic Original Jr 96 1996 97 | eBay

Last edited:
If you click on that Torquetite link above it has a pic of the can there, it used to be called TT but is now called copper gasket cement.
It's made by VHT and is a copper spray on coating for the gasket's
It help's the gasket's seal and stay tight too.

Latest posts

Back