Help: Installation of a TB Kit

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carlts

Certified Computer Nerd
Reaction score
Hey Guys I am interested in learning how to rebuild/upgrade engines. I found a video here that shows pretty well how to install a tb 88 kit:

The steps seem easy to follow and I reckon it makes the process seem actually possible now lol:

Part 1
<iframe width="640" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_nRKQnDH0Qw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Part 2
<iframe width="640" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rD0gx_DVs3s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If anyone else has any tips, tricks or other information please post here cuz I am keen to learn,

Thanks Carlton

I was thinking of installing a v2 or a bore kit on my 155z?

whats your opinions? do i need a new piston, clutch, springs?

Im a rookie sorry

You will need them all.
You will need a TB piston to match the head and bore as the stock piston releafs are not big enough and the valve will hit the piston.
As for clutch, personally I'd upgrade the springs as a minimum but you will still cheq through plates. So go and grap some of the kevlar fibre plates and super hd springs from TB in the US. Will give you a good service life and no slippage, plus you can run synthic oils with them too.

CHeers mate,

So the only reason why these bikes run mineral oil is cuz f the clutch plates?

Carlton

Synthetic oils, at least certain brands, have been know to break down the rubber dampers in the basket. I've seen them toasted in a weekend of aggressive riding.

TB plates aren't Kevlar, and are thinner. If you fan/slip the clutch a lot, you may warp the thinner steels. Keep the revs up instead and leave the clutch alone while riding, and you'll get decent life from the stock plates. Then, once the stockers slip, swap them. No sense tossing fine plates.

Adding two of the four TB springs suits many riders. All four are a bit aggressive and some riders will get arm pump and stop using the clutch in long motos/trail sessions.

If you add a V2 to a 155, look in to at least shimming the stock springs. Floating the valves eats up the intake valve face quick. Tak rockers are aluminum and weight 71g/pr vs 143g/pr for the TB versions. I run them in most of the smaller builds, to add 1000 revs or so up top before float. Tak springs add another couple hundred.

Clutch rubber filling the slinger:
July152009015.jpg

Tak rockers are a drop-in. V2 is a copy of the Tak head, so rockers interchange. A little thicker bodies, so it takes some wiggling, but is the best $125 you can spend on one.

Kevlar plates exist, but not from TB, and not for $38/6-pack;)

I was thinking of installing a v2 or a bore kit on my 155z?

whats your opinions? do i need a new piston, clutch, springs?

Im a rookie sorry

v2 will need a piston for sure... bigger valve reliefs needed..

bore kit obviously comes with the piston..

you'd be mad not to upgrade the clutch.. at least springs and modify the rubbers in the ring gear.. iv never had problems with plates..
if your not going to do the rubbers dont do the springs. it will last a tad longer..

on a side note.. you'd be surprised how much a standard clutch slips using the standard springs.. replace them and see..

dead rubbers will take the dampening effect out of the clutch which allows the ring gear to knock and forces the primary (crank) and ring gear (clutch) to strip resulting is an all mighty mess and possibly bent crank..

Where can we buy the stronger rubbers without having to buy a crf idler gear?

Can you just buy the rubbers on there own?

Cheers.

Where can we buy the stronger rubbers without having to buy a crf idler gear?

Can you just buy the rubbers on there own?

Cheers.

only if someone is nice enough to remove them for you.. Terry from FirePower might be able to help you, if not then ebay usa usually has a few complete units

Latest posts

Back