Z160HO Clutch Issues

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danjock

Reaction score
Hey Fellas,

Just picked up a second hand DHZ dpro 160 for the missus to learn on (shes not allowed on the big bike) and for me to have a bit of a play with. Its a decent little bike with a great engine, heaps of go in it I was fairly surprised when I first jumped on.

The problem we are having occurs after about 20 mins of riding, the clutch will just stop functioning. The lever gets quite heavy and if you try to pop it into first it will just stall. At this stage we will turn the bike off for the day. The next day when I come back to the bike and start her up, everything will work fine, then after 20 minutes, same problem.

I haven't touched anything yet other than drop the oil as I didn't want to be poking around anywhere i don't need to. I have a habit of making things worse when i touch them. Replaced it with castrol activ 4t and put a fresh filter in too but this didn't fix the problem.

Has anyone else had this issue or know what may be the cause and a fix?

Thanks heaps,
dan

never heard of this happening before, but id be pulling the smaller clutch cover off and inspecting the nut that holds the clutch basket on and make sure the clutch springs are in good condition..

not that i think the clutch springs are at fault cause if they were loosing tension under heat then the clutch should slip more.

yeah i'tll be the castle nut loose

tighten it

if it keeps happening just chuck it in gear rock it a few times and it should dis engage properly and off ya go

Thanks fellas,

ill have a poke around in there asap, tighten it up, and hopefully let you know of the positive results :banana:

My guess the clutch nut is loose or the clutch cable could be rubbing on something hot thats melting it.
ie the oil cooler or exhaust.

opened her up just then and the castle nut was as loose as a goose, wasn't even done up finger tight, was spinning around having a good old time.

So i tightened it up put it back together and it all feels a lot better now. Haven't been able to take it for a long ride yet but it looks like that was the issue.

Thanks for all the help!

Plenty of reliable engines use a snap-ring in that location, and for the primary gear. Not sure why, with straight-cut gears, they haven't switched to the cheap and rugged c-clip.

Latest posts

Back