Carltons Custom 155z crf70 build

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Swapper

Hey man, cheers for the feedback mate, yeah I was riding a little slow :D Tracks were pretty good, the senior mx track was good for the few jumps and sweeping turns, but was just a little difficult to ride aggressively due to the watering as I said earlier. In all honesty I probably enjoyed the senior enduro track the most, the gopro footage does give a false impression somewhat, because those hills were STEEP. Was fun just to flog it up the hills and barely maintain control.

Im out sorta Indooroopilly way from Western Brisbane.

Been riding alot more lately and really getting used to the feel of the bike. Went to QLD Moto Park again and rode with all peoples recommendations onboard. Managed to ride alot faster and with boosted confidence.

We went on the Enduro loop again, took some different turns and found ourself on an intense circuit that took 1 hour to complete. Was so much fun just powering through the hills in 3rd and just keeping the momentum going.

Also bought a few parts, inlcuded an in-line oil filter (Still on it's way), TB air filter, K+N Oil Filters, going to the MX shops today to get a few more goodies for the weekend ride. This time will take a couple of Canon 550d SLR's to get some nice action shots and HD 3rd person filming.

E03588D1-orig.jpg

187A87A5-orig.jpg

^^^Hahaha lol, she's pretty crammed full of stuff atm, but as soon as the shed goes in and the buggy goes, theres gonna be a heck of alot of room xD

Been having nightmares with electrics, so decided today was crunch day, ripped the seat off and removed the electrics. I really hate the design of the 70 in that mud galore is pumped under the seat. Might have to make a custom mud guard. Anyway here's some pics;

Electrics Removed:
BB3EE901-orig.jpg

Bought a new wiring harness as dude I bought the electric setup from had somewhat bodged it :p
7F000D2C-orig.jpg

The true nature of the bodge job is apparent with all the tape removed, the earthing wire had broken off from the solder so this could have been a significant contributor?
D45CF477-orig.jpg

Well here's an update for the lads.

Soldered the new wiring harness well and used some shrink wrap to keep everything running smooth. While I was at it I had a look at the wires coming from the engine magneto and found to my horror found that both the red/black & red/white were frayed and shorting, further adding to my electrical woes.

VERDICT:
But now she is all back together with fresh connections, shrink wrap and harness and I can say wow what a difference.

Bike started almost straight away and was miles louder, the throttle response felt beast-like and the bike literally felt more powerful. I'm wondering if the bike was only get a weak spark previously and this was inhibiting the power?

Great build man' enjoyed the whole thread from start to finish, can't wait to get a project underway but this thread has been a great resource all round. I plan to mod my vert 160 . Just waiting for my sticker kit from dynamics, I have found all the blue cnc bits I want just gotta order everything n also have a mini chopper rusting away in the shed that after seeing the last fifty of the month entry has sparked my interested in doing the same. Anyway awesome affordable build mate ' have fun

With all the homework you did before you did your head upgrade I have picked up a lot but am still somewhat confused. I have a 160 ho I pretty sure I do anyway, in my 2012 160 vert ' can I do the same upgrade to mine? I don't know if there will be any difference in doing it to mine ' is yours the z155¿ '

^^^ Hey man, glad this thread could be a help, was a lot of fun building and even more so riding :D

To answer your question the 155z and 160ho use the same head so the same mods can be done easily to both. The 155z (mine) is the older version and has a slightly different casing it also has an oil slinger instead of filter. The 160ho however has slightly upgraded casing and has an oil filter instead. So yeah same mods work your engine no probs :D

Any further questions for your build and I'd be happy to help, especially in regard to engine mods, as I spent hours researching, talking to chaps on here and also ripping apart and rebuilding engines. You cant go wrong with a V2 head, HD clutch springs and a Big Bore kit either straight away or down the track!

^^^ Hey man, glad this thread could be a help, was a lot of fun building and even more so riding :D

To answer your question the 155z and 160ho use the same head so the same mods can be done easily to both. The 155z (mine) is the older version and has a slightly different casing it also has an oil slinger instead of filter. The 160ho however has slightly upgraded casing and has an oil filter instead. So yeah same mods work your engine no probs :D

Any further questions for your build and I'd be happy to help, especially in regard to engine mods, as I spent hours researching, talking to chaps on here and also ripping apart and rebuilding engines. You cant go wrong with a V2 head, HD clutch springs and a Big Bore kit either straight away or down the track!

Legend ^^^^^^
I thought as much but wasn't sure coz of the slight differences, thanks for clearing it up I'm sure I'll pick your brain in future

Spent a good 9 hours on my Saturday, cleaning and rebuilding my bike to OCD standards lol. Took the time to replace all wheel bearings with good quality ones, even though originals had only 10 hours on em lol. Changed fork oil to some legit SAE 5 fork oil, making them a ton lighter than the engine oil in them lol. Also changed the oil again since my previous 3 hours ago.

Bike is in ship shape, but I managed to make the back brake fall apart so will be buying a set of GPX rear brakes now and 4 dust seals for the wheel bearings!

55F19FB9.jpg

^^^^ Yeah Repco, only place nearby that had them. Cost me a whopping 15 bucks for all 4 lol. Good ey.

Also I have one quick question for ya, what size rear disc rotor does the outlaw run stock. I'm thinking of getting the GPX rear brake system, mostly just for the brake mount plate, but wanted to know if I could keep the 190mm disc I have currently.

Also a note for everyone, I take back what I said about the TB filter, this is one 2.5 hour ride old VVV

DBD2256F-orig.jpg

Lol, I'm having zero luck with them atm, might consider going to an airbox instead?

In the mean time, anyone know of a glue to use to repair the seam? The foam is all sweet, and still like new so no use throwing her out just yet.

Any help would as usual be much appreciated!

the chinese factorys just use hot glue,
Gasket glue will work a treat but personally i would use some contact cement and after a few hours it wont ever be coming off that stuff is so strong think of it as silicone mixed with superglue put it on thick and when it sets it will be rock solid.

Will that contact cement melt the foam of the filter? I've tried some glues like that before and only made the problem worse :S

Latest posts

Back